Levertov's "February Evening in New York" and Mad Men

While I read and read, and read again Denise Levertov's "February Evening in New York" I was struck by how often my mind's eye went to scenes and images from the television show Mad Men. That image of servile robotic men in grey flannel suits kept popping to mind, even that terrible movie with the ubiquitous title "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" came to mind. That image of the faceless business man, how sad.

But then there is the quote of a woman extolling the virtue of loving life as Levertov sees life beginning outside the city in a sneering, condescending tone. This combination of a quick dismissal of any man in a suit as an automaton and the to me mocking quote create a poem that feels petty and spiteful.

I do not like it, and I do not like the poem. Not to say it is not well written, that it is not an interesting poem with interesting imagery and a clear, concise message. I just happen to think that message is bullshit.

Comments

Popular Posts